Auburn, Ala. – No. 2 Carolina earned a 6-1 victory over Wisconsin at the Auburn/Auburn University Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
The Tar Heels got a quick jump on things from the No. 3 Doubles paring of Reilly Tran/Abbey Forbes who won decisively 6-1 over Taylor Cataldi/Charmaine Seah. The Heels won the Doubles point when Reese Brantmeier/Elizabeth Scotty knocked off the Wisconsin paring of Ava Markham/Maria Sholokhova 6-2.
Freshman Reese Brantmeier def. Alina Mukhortova 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 to give the Heels the 4-1 lead and clinch the match for Carolina.
No. 5 Abby Forbes def. Tayler Cataldi 6-3, 6-2 to earn the first singles point of the match. Reilly Tran def. Charmaine Seah 6-4, 6-2 to give the Tar Heels the 3-0 lead. After playing three points in the thrid set, Anika Yarlagadda retired giving Xinya Cai the win, and Wisconsin the first team point of the day.
Freshman Reese Brantmeier def. Alina Mukhortova 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 to give the Heels the 4-1 lead and clinch the match for Carolina. No. 1 Fiona Crawley outllasted Maria Sholokhova in the third set to give the Heels the 5-1 lead, when No. 8 Carson Tanguilig finished the contest defeating Ava Markham (Wisconsin) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
The 6-0 Tar Heels will face host Auburn tomorrow at 12 p.m. ET. The Tigers opened the dual match season on Friday vs Iowa State with a 5-2 win. Reilly Tran took down Charmaine Seah (Wisconsin) 6-4, 6-2 to claim the 3rd point of the match for the Tar Heels.
Auburn is coming off a 2022 NCAA Round of 16 appearance, finishing the season with a 22-6 overall record and setting the mark for the best SEC record in school history at 11-2. No. 43 ranked Ariana Arseneault went 18-6 singles dual match last season while No. 71 Carolyn Ansari went 20-6 in singles play.
- No. 8 Carson Tanguilig (UNC) vs. Ava Markham (Wisconsin) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
- No. 1 Fiona Crawley (UNC) def. Maria Sholokhova (Wisconsin) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
- Reese Brantmeier def. Alina Mukhortova (Wisconsin) 7-6 (7-5), 6-1 (Clinch)
- No. 5 Abby Forbes (UNC) def. Tayler Cataldi (Wisconsin) 6-3, 6-2
- Xinya Cai (Wisconsin) def. Anika Yarlagadda (UNC) 6-2, 3-6, 0-3 (Retired)
- Reilly Tran (UNC) def. Charmaine Seah (Wisconsin) 6-4, 6-2
Order of Finish
4, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1
- Brantmeier/Scotty (UNC) def. Markham/Sholokhova (Wisconsin) 6-2, Clinch…