SEATTLE – Washington soared past the Portland Pilots today at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in its first match in nearly two weeks. The Huskies took the early lead by securing the doubles point and went on to win five straight singles matches, all in straight sets. The Huskies will head to the Hawaii in a couple weeks with a 8-4 record.
Washington took the 1-0 lead with two wins at first and third doubles. Han-Chih Lin and Jim Hendrikx got the first win for the Dawgs, defeating Fabian Gusic and Issa Yoshida (6-2) at third doubles. Cesar Bouchelaghem and Dzianis Zharyn went on to clinch the doubles point for the Huskies, defeating Sema Pankin and Eleftherios Neos (6-4) at first singles.
The Dawgs carried this momentum into singles where they earned five straight singles wins in straight sets to put the match away. The Huskies led, 6-0, before Portland got the last point in a third set tiebreak.
Pearson won first at No. 6 singles, winning a tight first set before blanking Cade Fernando in the second, 7-5, 6-0. Cesar Bouchelaghem had a 6-3, 6-1 win at No. 3 singles over Nikolas Tvedt, improving to 12-0. Nedim Suko got the clincher for the Dawgs, with a 6-2, 6-1 win over Maxim Groysman.
Han-Chih Lin follows in his teammates footsteps by securing another point for the Dawgs, getting a big win over 86th-ranked Sema Pankin, 6-4, 6-1 at No. 1 singles. Dzianis Zharyn wins mirror sets over his opponent Eleftherios Neos (6-4, 6-4) at No. 2 singles. Jim Hendrikx went on to complete his match, splitting sets with Issa Yoshida. Hendrikx came up short in the tiebreak 6-4, 5-7, (5-10) and awarded Portland with their only point of the match.
The Huskies will leave the Emerald City and say Aloha to Oahu on March 21 at Hawaii.
Washington Men’s Tennis
March 10, 2023
#45 Washington – 6
Portland – 1
1. Han-Chih Lin (UW) def. #86 Sema Pankin (UP) – 6-4, 6-1
2. Dzianis Zharyn (UW) def. Eleftherios Neos (UP) – 6-4, 6-4
3. #85 Cesar Bouchelaghem (UW) def. Nikolas Tvedt (UP) – 6-3, 6-1
4. Nedim Suko (UW) def. Maxim Groysman (UP) – 6-2, 6-1
5. Issa Yoshida (UP) def. Jim Hendrikx (UW) – 4-6, 7-5, (10-5)
6. Brett Pearson (UW) def. Cade Fernando (UP) – 7-5, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 3, 4, 1, 2, 5
1. #44 Zharyn/Bouchelaghem (UW) def. Pankin/Neos (UP) – 6-4
2. Pearson/Suko (UW) vs. Tvedt/Ocana (UP) – 4-5, DNF
3. Lin/Hendrikx (UW) def. Gusic/Yoshida (UP) – 6-2
Order of finish: 3,…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Washington Athletics…