TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –– The Crimson Tide competed in an all-Alabama final on Monday as members of the Alabama men’s tennis team faced off in the championships match in both the singles and doubles events at the TuscaBama UTR.
Planinsek and Ponce De Leon both recorded a singles win in their respective semifinal match to meet once again in the finals. Planinsek would come out on top, winning his second event title of the day with a 6-3, 6-4 score.
- Planinsek opened the day with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Radomir Tomic in the singles semifinals
- Ponce De Leon secured the win over UA teammate Andrii Zimnokh in a back-and-forth, three-set match
- Ponce De Leon went 3-6, 6-4, 10-2 to earn a spot in the championship
- Before facing off in the singles finale, Planinsek and Ponce De Leon went head-to-head in the doubles championships
- Planinsek alongside teammate Zimnokh took a 6-3 victory over Alabama’s Yair Sarouk and Ponce De Leon
- Just over 30 minutes later, Planinsek would secure a 6-3, 6-4 victory to claim the singles crown
- TuscaBama UTR closed the fall portion of the Crimson Tide’s schedule
- UA will return to action in January
Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaMTN on X, Instagram and Facebook.
– UA –