COLUMBUS, Ohio – In the first road match of the 2024 campaign for the 17th-ranked Duke women’s tennis team, the Blue Devils dropped a 4-0 decision at 12th-ranked Ohio State on Friday afternoon inside the Ty Tucker Tennis Center in Columbus, Ohio.
The Blue Devils fell for the second straight match and dropped to 5-2 on the year, while Ohio State improved to 4-1.
How It Happened
- For the second straight match and the third time this season, the Blue Devils fell behind early as Duke dropped the doubles point.
- On court one, Duke’s Shavit Kimchi and Karolina Berankova never led en route to a 6-3 loss to Luciana Perry and Sydni Ratliff.It marked Kimchi and Berankova’s first dual match loss of the season, falling to 2-1.
- The Blue Devil duo of Emma Jackson and Ellie Coleman were in a battle on court two against Irina Cantos Siemers and Audrey Spencer.Duke jumped out to a 2-1 lead, while also leading 3-2 and 4-3, but Ohio State responded by winning three straight games to clinch the doubles point, 6-4.
- The match on court three was abandoned after the doubles point was clinched with Duke’s Iuliia Bryzgalova and Brianna Shvets leading, 6-5, against Madeline Atway and Teah Chavez.The Blue Devils were trailing 4-2, but won two of three key deuce points to even the match, 5-5.Trailing 40-0 in the next game, Bryzgalova and Shvets came back to take a 6-5 lead when the doubles point was clinched.
- Duke came out in singles and won the first game on four of the six courts.
- Ohio State had control on court one from the start though as 15th-ranked Cantos Siemers defeated…