The Lady Vols’ 59th-ranked Elza Tomase clinched the victory for Tennessee (8-2, 1-0 SEC), winning 6-1, 6-4 on court two. She held off a late rally by Missouri’s No. 117 Laura Masic to secure the win. While opening conference action with a win Friday, the Lady Vols were able to honor LVFL Caitlin Whoriskey for her induction into the University of Tennessee Athletics Hall of Fame.
“It was an exciting environment to be able to welcome back a Lady Vol All-American in Caitlin,” Tennessee head coach Alison Ojeda said. “For as many wins as she’s had for this program, it was a fun crowd for her. We were excited to have her back.”
On the doubles courts, Daria Kuczer and Eleonora Molinaro defeated Missouri’s (9-4, 0-1 SEC) Andrea Artimedi and Emelie Schwarte, 6-4 on court two. Then, Tennessee’s Esther Adeshina and Rebeka Mertena held off a late push by Missouri’s Inah Canete and Mae Canete to earn UT the doubles point with a 6-4 victory at the No. 1 spot.
“In doubles, I saw high energy and high intensity from the very beginning, which is huge,” Ojeda said. “If we come out with that mindset, good things happen. Even if we lose points, it helps us contnue to get better.”
Lauren Anzalotta increased Tennessee’s lead to 2-0, giving UT its first singles win of the day with a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Missouri’s Artimedi. Moments later, Catherine Aulia wrapped up her impressive victory on court four, defeating Canete in 6-2, 6-0 fashion before Tomase’s clinch.
Kuczer and Molinaro were each entering a third set upon going unfinished.
UP NEXT: The Lady Vols close out the weekend with a home match against Arkansas Sunday at 1 p.m. ET.
Full results from Friday’s match can be found below:
#20 Tennessee 4, Missouri 0
1. #30 Rebeka Mertena (TENN) vs. Mae Canete (MIZ) 5-7, 1-3, unfinished
2. #59 Elza Tomase (TENN) def. #117 Laura Masic (MIZ) 6-1, 6-4
3. #34 Daria Kuczer (TENN) vs. Emelie Schwarte (MIZ) 6-1, 1-6, unfinished
4. Catherine Aulia (TENN) def. Inah Canete (MIZ) 6-2, 6-0
5. Eleonora Molinaro (TENN) vs. Gabriela Martinez (MIZ) 2-6, 6-2, unfinished
6. Lauren Anzalotta (TENN) def. Andrea Artimedi (MIZ) 6-2, 6-1
1. Esther Adeshina/Rebeka Mertena (TENN) def. Inah Canete/Mae Canete (MIZ) 6-4
2. Daria Kuczer/
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Tennessee Athletics…