TEMPE, Ariz.- After beginning their January slate with three sweeps at Whiteman Tennis Center, Sun Devil Women’s Tennis will be away from Tempe for the first time this season as they will travel to Columbus, Ohio, for the ITA Kickoff Weekend.
The top 60 teams in all of women’s tennis are assigned to 15 host sites around the country for a two-day tournament with a spot at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships on the line.
There will be four teams competing in Columbus alongside the Sun Devils, including host No. 14 Ohio State, Kansas and Notre Dame.
Arizona State is the No. 3 seed in this regional and will face the No. 2- seed Kansas Jayhawks on Friday at 11 a.m. AZT. They will face either No.1-seed Ohio State or No. 4-seed Notre Dame on Saturday, with a start time to be determined.
Live Stream | Live Scores | Info about the ITA Kickoff Weekend
If the Sun Devils win both of their matches in Columbus, they’ll advance to the ITA Indoor Championships for the first time since 2020.
SUN DEVIL OUTLOOK
- Arizona State is coming off a 7-0 sweep over Fresno State this past Saturday after sweeping both UC Davis and UC San Diego 7-0 on January 13 to open the season 3-0 going to Columbus.
- Emilija Tverijonaite, one of the newcomers for the Sun Devils, has already been a boost for the Sun Devils. She has started in singles in each of the three home matches, playing primarily in the No. 4 spot. Against Fresno State, she won her singles match 6-0, 6-1.
- Giulia Morlet was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week on January 16 for the second time of her career. She has three doubles wins on the season as she’s partnered up with fellow seniors Rachel Hanford and Marianna Argyrokastriti on Court 2.
- The Sun Devils are represented in the singles/doubles polls. Marianna Argyrokastriti/Patricija Spaka are ranked No. 47 in doubles. Morlet (No. 61) and Tverijonaite (No. 68) are ranked nationally in singles.
- Chasing 600: Head coach Sheila McInerney picked up her 577th career victory in the sweep of Fresno State on Saturday and the women’s tennis program picked up its 915th win.
PREVIEWING FRIDAY’S OPPONENT (KANSAS, 0-0)
- The Jayhawks are coming off competition at the Duel in the Desert back on January 13, which…