CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 9 Virginia women’s tennis team (0-0) opens the 2023 dual match season on Friday, Jan. 20 with a doubleheader on the indoor courts of the Boar’s Head Sports Club. Virginia will take on Richmond (0-2) at 12 p.m. and James Madison (0-0) at 4:30 p.m.
- Live streaming and live scoring will be available for the matches. Links are posted on VirginiaSports.com
NOTING THE CAVALIERS
- The Cavaliers were ranked No. 7 in the first ITA team rankings of the spring but slipped to No. 9 in this week’s poll
- The Cavaliers have six players ranked in singles led by Julia Adams at No. 34 and Elaine Chervinsky at No. 50. Annabelle Xu, Hibah Shaikh, Natasha Subhash and Mélodie Collard
- Chervinsky and Subhash are ranked No. 3 in doubles after finishing as semifinalists at both the ITA All-American and ITA Fall National Championships in the fall
- Adams, a grad transfer from Furman, picked up 10 singles wins in the fall, including winning the title at the ITA Atlantic Regionals
- Chervinsky went 8-3 in singles and 9-3 in doubles
- Subhash was 8-2 in singles and 10-2 in doubles
- The Spiders opened their season with matches last week, falling 7-0 at Princeton and 6-1 at Penn
- Richmond returns three players from last year’s roster, including Carly Cohen, who had a 6-4 record at No. 2 last season
- Virginia is 30-4 all-time against Richmond and has won the last 15 meetings
NOTING JAMES MADISON
- This is the season-opener for James Madison
- The Dukes played at UVA last year during ITA Kickoff Weekend, falling 4-0 against the Cavaliers
- The Dukes went 9-11 last year
- Daria Afanasyeva is a two-time firs team All-CAA selection in both doubles and singles
- Kylie Moulin was 20-5 in singles last year, including an 8-1 record at No. 2
- Virginia is 14-3 all-time against JMU. Last year’s meeting was the first time the two teams had faced one another since JMU picked up a 7-2 victory in Harrisonburg in April of 1990
ON THE HORIZON
- Virginia hosts ITA Kickoff Weekend matches next week with Washington State, Ole Miss and Princeton coming to the Boar’s Head to play for an invitation to the ITA National Team Championships
- Virginia opens Kickoff Weekend by hosting Washington State on Friday, Jan. 27 at 3 p.m.
- The ITA Kickoff Weekend championship will take place on Saturday, Jan. 28 at 3:30 p.m. The consolation final will follow at 6:30 p.m.
32 Carolina Gomez Alonso (ARK) def. Julia Adams…