CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The No. 1 Virginia men’s tennis team (4-0) picked up its first win against a ranked opponent this season, topping No. 11 Baylor (3-1) by a 4-0 score on Sunday (Jan. 22) at the Boar’s Head Sports Club.
After Baylor and Virginia split results on doubles courts two and three, Bar Botzer and Chris Rodesch secured the point by winning a tiebreaker 8-6 to top the No. 3 doubles team in the nation, Finn Bass and Juan Pablo Grassi Mazzuchi, to secure the point for the Cavaliers.
Rodesch downed Bass 6-2, 6-2 on the top court to give UVA a 2-0 lead. Jeffrey von der Schulenburg followed with a 6-3, 6-3 victory on court three. Grad student Ryan Goetz closed out the victory with a 7-5, 6-3 win against Mazzuchi on court four.
“Great mental effort by our guys against a very tough Baylor team,” said head coach Andres Pedroso. “We will likely see them again down the road because they have such a quality team. Our crowd today was incredible. The environment they created for us at the Boar’s Head is one of the main reasons our student-athletes chose to play for UVA. It was a lot of fun, and we are so humbled by everyone’s support.”
The victory extends UVA’s win streak to 27 matches dating back to last season.
- The Cavaliers have yet to allow their opponent to score a point, winning their first three matches 7-0 and adding this 4-0 victory
ON THE HORIZON
- The Cavaliers host ITA Kickoff Weekend matches on Saturday and Sunday, Jan. 28-29 with Ole Miss, Princeton and Nevada coming to Charlottesville in pursuit of an invitation to the ITA National Team Indoor Championships
- Virginia opens play by hosting Nevada at noon on Saturday. Ole Miss and Princeton play at 9 a.m.
- The championship match takes place on Sunday, Jan. 29 at 1 p.m.
#1 Virginia 4, #11 Baylor 0
- Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Finn Bass (BU) 6-2, 6-2
- Inaki Montes (VA) vs. Tadeas Paroulek (BU) 2-6, unfinished
- J vd Schulenburg (VA) def. Marko Miladinovic (BU) 6-3, 6-3
- Ryan Goetz (VA) def. Juampi Mazzuchi (BU) 7-5, 6-3
- Bar Botzer (VA) vs. Ethan Muza (BU) 6-2, 3-6, unfinished
- Mans Dahlberg (VA) vs. Zsombor Velcz (BU) 2-6, 6-6 (2-4), unfinished
- Bar Botzer/Chris Rodesch (VA) def. Finn Bass/Juampi Mazzuchi (BU) 7-6 (8-6)
- Tadeas Paroulek/Zsombor Velcz (BU) def. Inaki Montes/Ryan Goetz (VA) 6-2
- J vd Schulenburg/Alexander Kiefer (VA) def. Luc Koenig/Ethan Muza (BU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles…