Women’s Tennis | March 05, 2023
The USC women’s tennis team dropped four consecutive singles matches as the Trojans fell 5-2 to the Huskies on Sunday (March 5) in Seattle, Wash. With the loss, the Women of Troy drop to 7-3 and are 1-1 in Pac-12 play.
The Trojans dropped the doubles point to start the match as the No. 19 ranked duo of Naomi Cheong and Snow Han would fall 6-3 to Washington’s Sato/Suko on center court. Shortly thereafter, Grace Piper and Nathalie Rodilosso lost 6-4 to the Husky duo of Fortin/Matsuda on court three.
Entering singles with a one-point deficit, it was freshman Maddy Sieg to put the first point on the board for the Trojans. The No. 4 ranked singles player Sieg continued her winning ways against the Huskies, defeating #100 Hikaru Sato 6-2, 6-3 on center court to even the score and extend her undefeated streak in dual match singles action. Next sophomore Grace Piper puts the Trojans ahead, beating Erika Matsuda 7-6 (3), 6-4 on court six. The Trojans stalled out following Piper’s victory, with Washington claiming four straight singles matches. Naomi Cheong and Emma Charney fell on courts four and five, respectively, putting the Huskies in the lead once again. The match was decided on court two as Sarah-Maude Fortin beat Trojan #24 Eryn Cayetano 7-5, 6-4, 6-2. Snow Han’s match on court three was played out with Han falling to Astrid Olsen 6-4, 4-6, 7-5.
The Women of Troy now return home for the remainder of the month, playing seven home matches (no road matches) at Marks Stadium in March.
Washington 5, USC 2
Sunday, March 5 | Seattle, Washington | Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center
- Sato/Suko (WASH) def. #19 Naomi Cheong/Snow Han (USC) – 6-3
- #29 Eryn Cayetano/Maddy Sieg (USC) vs. Olsen/Kerr (WASH) – 4-5 UNF.
- Fortin/Matsuda (WASH) def. Grace Piper/Nathalie Rodilosso (USC) – 6-4
Washington wins the doubles point.
Order of finish: 1,3
- #4 Maddy Sieg (USC) def. #100 Hikaru Sato (WASH) – 6-2, 6-3
- Sarah-Maude Fortin (WASH) def. #24 Eryn Cayetano (USC) – 7-5, 4-6, 6-2*
- Astrid Olsen (WASH) def. #43 Snow Han (USC) – 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
- #93 Jennifer Kerr (WASH) def. Naomi Cheong (USC) – 5-7, 6-4, 6-4
- Melissa Sakar (WASH) def. #111 Emma Charney (USC) – 1-6, 7-5, 6-0
- Grace Piper (USC) def. Erika Matsuda (WASH)…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at USC Athletics…