GAINESVILLE, Fla. –– The Alabama men’s tennis team (9-7, 1-2 SEC) upset the No. 16 Florida Gators (6-7, 1-2 SEC) in a 4-3 victory on the road Sunday. After falling behind 3-1, Alabama recorded three-straight wins in singles to capture the win at the Alfred A Ring Tennis Complex.
Florida jumped out to an early 3-1 lead after winning the doubles points and taking victories on courts one and six in singles. Matias Ponce De Leon and German Samofalov followed Alabama’s opening point from Enzo Aguiard on court two, with victories on courts three and four, respectively. After dropping his opening set, Roan Jones fought through two 7-6 decisions on court five to secure UA its final point of the day for the overall victory.
The win was Alabama’s first over the Florida Gators since 2008 and Alabama’s best victory since UA defeated No. 15 Mississippi State in 2021.
“There is no script to moments like today but there is a question that is presented to everyone point-after-point. Will I react or will I respond? It appears like a simple answer, but it takes a lot to pause, weather the storm and take action. Our youthful bunch grew a little older and mature today. The process will continue. I have faith in them and their ability to keep building and developing.”
- Florida captured the doubles point to start the day with a 1-0 advantage
- Joao Ferreira and Matias Ponce De Leon were leading 5-4 on court three with the doubles point was clinched
- Filip Planinsek evened the match at 1-1 with a win over No. 72 Will Grant
- Planinsek won in straight sets, taking the victory at 6-4, 6-2
- Florida followed with wins on courts one and six, respectively, to regain the lead
- Matias Ponce De Leon brought the Tide within one (3-2) battling back in a three-set battle for a 3-6, 6-2, 6-0 win over No. 119 Nate Bonetto
- Alabama would tie the match at 3-3 following an exciting 6-3, 7-6 (9) victory on court four from German Samofalov against No. 79 Jonah Braswell
- Roan Jones fought his way back from a first-set loss, to take back-to-back 7-6 victories in sets two and three for the match point
- Jones defeated Olek Orlikowski 1-6, 7-6 (3), 7-6 (2) for the win on court five
- Alabama returns home to host Tennessee on March 16
- The match will begin at 4 p.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium
1 | #18 Will Grant/Alex Nefve (UF) def. Enzo Aguiard/Filip Planinsek (UA) 6-3
2 | Nate Bonetto/Tanapatt…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…