TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama men’s tennis program (8-6) dropped a 6-1 decision to No. 9 Georgia (7-5) Thursday afternoon inside the Roberta Alison Baumgardner Tennis Facility.
After Georgia pair Blake Croyder and Thomas Paulsell defeated Alabama’s German Samofalov and Zach Foster (6-2) on court three, the Crimson Tide would win court two (6-3) behind the efforts of Joao Ferreira and Matias Ponce De Leon. Georgia would clench the deciding doubles point on court one, as UGA duo Ethan Quinn and Trent Bryde won, 6-4, over UA pair Enzo Aguiard and Filip Planinsek.
Georgia would win the next five consecutive singles points before Alabama’s Samofalov won on court four (4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4) to conclude the match.
“We had a very good crowd and a very good college tennis atmosphere tonight. It was a very good effort by our team across all courts against a very good Georgia team. We are young and developing each match and I’m proud of the effort our guys put in tonight. It was a clear improvement from last weekend, and we will continue to get better as the season continues.”
Match vs. No. 9 Georgia
- Georgia outlasted Alabama to secure the doubles point after clenching the deciding point on court one, as Bulldogs duo Ethan Quinn and Trent Bryde won, 6-4, over UA pair Enzo Aguiard and Filip Planinsek
- Georgia’s Philip Henning defeated Planinsek on court two, 6-3, 6-4, to give Georgia the 2-0 lead
- The Bulldogs moved to a 3-0 lead after Georgia’s Miguel Perez Pena won on court six (6-2, 7-5)
- Alabama would fall in three consecutive three-set battles on courts three (5-7, 6-2, 3-6), five (4-6, 6-3, 4-6) and one (6-4, 6-7 (3), 3-6) as Ponce De Leon, Roan Jones and Aguiard, respectively, were outlasted by their opponent
- Samofalov defeated Georgia’s Blake Croyder on court four (4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4)
- Alabama will return to action next Friday, March 10, for its first road match in conference play in a battle at South Carolina
- First serve is set for 2 p.m. CT
Results vs. No. 9 Georgia
Order of finish (3, 2, 1)
- 1 | Ethan Quinn (UGA) def. Enzo Aguiard (UA) 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3
- 2 | Philip Henning (UGA) def. Filip Planinsek (UA) 6-3, 6-4
- 3 | Trent Bryde (UGA) def. Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 7-5, 2-6, 6-3
- 4 | German Samofalov (UA) def. Blake Croyder (UGA) 4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4
- 5 | Teodor Giusca (UGA) def. Roan Jones (UA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-4
- 6 |…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…