TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Alabama men’s tennis program (9-9, 1-4 SEC) fell, 6-1, to No. 6 Kentucky (17-2, 5-1 SEC) Saturday afternoon at the Alabama Tennis Stadium.
The Wildcats took the first point of the match in doubles play after securing victories on courts three (6-1) and one (6-4). The Crimson Tide duo of Joao Ferreira and Matias Ponce De Leon were trailing 4-5 on court two when the doubles point was clenched.
In singles play, Zach Foster would claim Alabama’s lone win of the day via a 6-2, 1-6, 6-2 performance on court six. Alabama’s Filip Planinsek (court one), Ponce De Leon (court three) and German Samofalov (court four) would also fight through three sets, but the sixth-ranked Kentucky squad pulled away by claiming five wins in singles play to seal the win.
“Kentucky showed us why they are one of the toughest teams in our conference. They are very confident and experienced in their ability to execute in tight situations. We did have some bright spots – Zach Foster again responded very well to the starting nod in singles and showed great resolve in his match. We also had tough three setters for Filip, Matias and German. So we are making progress and are continuing to work on strengthening our ability to control what we can control.”
Match vs. No. 6 Kentucky
- Kentucky secured the doubles point after winning on courts three and one
- Jaden Weekes defeated Alabama’s Roan Jones on court five, 6-4, 6-1, to give the Wildcats a 2-0 lead
- Alabama’s No. 63 Enzo Aguiard fell to No. 28 Alafia Ayeni (3-6, 2-6) on court two
- Foster won the Tide’s first point of the day on court six, winning 6-2, 1-6, 6-2
- Planinsek went three sets against No. 23 Liam Draxl, but fell 3-6, 7-5, 2-6 on court one
- Samofalov (6-4, 2-6, 2-6) and Ponce De Leon (6-3, 3-6, 2-6) also took their Kentucky opponent to three sets on courts four and three, respectively, before falling in the final set
- Alabama will return to action next Friday (March 24) and Sunday (March 26) for a pair of road matches against Texas A&M and LSU, respectively
- First serve is set for 1 p.m. CT for both matches
Results vs. No. 6 Kentucky
Order of finish (3, 1)
- 1| No. 23 Liam Draxl (UK) def. Filip Planinsek (UA) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
- 2| No. 28 Alafia Ayeni (UK) def. No. 63 Enzo Aguiard (UA) 6-3, 6-2
- 3| No. 47 Joshua Lapadat (UK) def. Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) 3-6, 6-3,…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at University of Alabama Athletics…