TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –– The Alabama men’s tennis team concluded the second day of the TuscaBama UTR with both doubles teams earning a spot in the finals as three UA singles players reached the semifinals.
The Alabama doubles pairing of Filip Planinsek and Andrii Zimnokh and the UA duo Yair Sarouk and Matias Ponce De Leon will go head-to-head in the finals after both teams posted wins in the quarterfinals and semifinals on Sunday.
UA will send three singles players to the semifinals after the Crimson Tide went head-to-head in two of the four quarterfinal matches. Planinsek, Matias Ponce De Leon and Zimnokh emerged victorious in the quarterfinals to earn a spot in Monday’s semifinal competition.
- Planinsek and Zimnokh downed Lucas Hammond and Miguel Gamborino, 6-3, in the quarterfinals before the UA pairing took a 6-2 victory against Vence Ntcha and Kai Cowcher in the semifinals
- After a 7-5 battle against Yin Chih Lan and Chetanna Amadike, Sarouk and Ponce De Leon secured a 6-2 victory against Houston Jacques and Parker Free to earn a spot in Monday’s final
- In the singles Round of 16, Planinsek defeated William Landry (6-4, 6-3) Jones defeated Hammond (6-2, 6-0), Sarouk defeated Jake Trondson (7-6(7), 6-0), Ponce De Leon defeated Nazar Fedoryshyn (6-4, 6-2) and Zimnokh defeated Kale Mize (3-6, 6-2 10-7)
- Planinsek and Jones would go head-to-head in the quarterfinals with Planinsek taking a 6-1, 6-2 victory to advance to the semifinals
- Sarouk and Ponce De Leon also met in the quarterfinals as Ponce De Leon took a 6-4, 6-0 victory
- Zimnokh was the third UA player to reach the semifinals, advancing off a 6-2, 6-4 victory against Nemanja Malesevic
- UA will have three players compete in the semifinals Monday with competition beginning at 8 a.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium
- Both Tide doubles teams go head-to-head in the championship match at 10 a.m.
- The singles championships match will be played at noon
Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaMTN on X, Instagram and Facebook.
– UA –