No. 2 Carolina earned a 5-2 victory over Elon to start the 2023 season.
Elizabeth Scotty, Abbey Forbes, and Carson Tanguilig each won in consecutive sets, securing the win for the Tar Heels.
No. 58 Scotty won commandingly with back-to-back 6-0 performances.
UCLA graduate transfer No. 5 Forbes made her Carolina debut. The Raleigh native won her court three match-up 6-3, 6-1.
No. 8 Tanguilig built on her preseason success, winning 6-2, 6-4.
The talented Tar Heel tandem of Forbes and Scotty put Carolina on the path to securing the doubles point, winning 6-2.
The no. 1 doubles duo in the country, Crawley and Tanguilig, shined as they clinched the doubles point, winning 6-3.
Crawley, also the No. 1 singles player in the country, won a tiebreak 10-7 as a consolation prize. She battled back after losing the first set 5-7 to win the second 6-3.
The Tar Heels will be back in action Saturday at 2 p.m. vs. Appalachian State, followed by a Monday doubleheader against ECU at 1 p.m. and Campbell at 5:30 p.m.
- No. 1 Fiona Crawley (UNC) vs. Sibel Tank (Elon) 5-7, 6-3, TB 10-7
- No. 8 Carson Tanguilig (UNC) def. Madison Cordisco (Elon) 6-2, 6-4
- No. 5 Abby Forbes (UNC) def. Lizette Reading (Elon) 6-3, 6-1
- No. 58 Elizabeth Scotty (UNC) def. Helen Sarikulava (Elon) 6-0, 6-0
- Julie Ball (Elon) def. Lindsay Zink (UNC) 1-6, 1-6
- Oliver Archer (Elon) def. Sara McClure (UNC) 2-6, 6-1, 4-6
Order of Finish
4, 5, 3, 2, 1, 6
- Tanguilig/ Crawley (UNC) def. Reading/Tanik (Elon) 6-3, Clinch Point
- Forbes/ Scotty (UNC) def. Archer/Ball (Elon) 6-2
- Patel/ Zink (UNC) vs. Cordisco/Sarkulava (Elon) 4-3