No. 2 Carolina earned a 6-1 victory over Appalachian State in the second match of the season.
The Heels clinched the doubles point behind a strong showing of Abby Forbes/Anika Yarlagadda (6-1). The tandem of Sophia Patel and Lindsey Zink clinched the team point (6-2) for the Tar Heels.
No. 58 Elizabeth Scotty won commandingly with back-to-back 6-1 performances on court two.
Anika Yarlagadda jumped out to a 6-0 win in set 1, followed by a 6-2 second set to secure the third point for the Heels.
Graduate transfer No. 5 Forbes clinched the win for UNC with a 6-1, 6-4 battle over Helena Jansen.
Junior #48 Reilly Tran bounced back after dropping the first set to win a third set tiebreak and 10-6 to win her match.
Sara McClure had another great showing, winning her match 6-4, 6-4.
The win over App State was the 499 for head coach Brian Kalbas in Chapel Hill.
The Tar Heels will be back in action Monday for a double-header starting at 1 p.m. vs. East Carolina , followed by a 5:30 pm match vs. Campbell.
- No. 5 Abby Forbes (UNC) def. Helena Jansen (App State) 6-1, 6-4 (Clinch)
- No. 58 Elizabeth Scotty (UNC) def. Maggie Pate (App State) 6-1, 6-1
- Anika Yarlagadda (UNC) def. Savanna Dada-Mascoll (App State) 6-1, 6-2
- Reilly Tran (UNC) vs Ellie Murphy (App State), 5-7, 6-0, 1-0 (10-6 break)
- Virginia Poggi (App State) def. Lindsay Zink (UNC) 7-6, 6-3
- Sara McClure (UNC) def. Olwyn Ryan-Bovey (App State) 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish
2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6
- Scotty/Tran (UNC) vs Jansen/Murphy (App State) 5-1 (UF)
- Forbes/Yarlagadda (UNC) def. Dada-Mascoll/Pate (App State) 6-1
- Patel/ Zink (UNC) vs. Gruber/Poggi (App State) 6-2, Clinch Point
Order of Finish
2, 3, 1 (UF)