Women’s Tennis | March 12, 2023
The USC women’s tennis team’s hopes at an upset came up short on Sunday, March 12 as the Trojans fell 4-3 to No. 7 Pepperdine at Marks Tennis Stadium.
With the loss the Trojans drop to 7-4 on the season while the Waves improve to 8-2.
The Wave No. 1 ranked duo of Tjen/Broadus wasted no time, swiftly defeating USC’s No. 24 ranked Naomi Cheong and Snow Han 6-0 on center court. USC fought back as Grace Piper and Nathalie Rodilosso defeated Pepperdin’es Redelijk/Campana 6-3 on court three. The doubles point was won by the No. 34 ranked Trojan duo of Eryn Cayetano and Maddy Sieg, who overcame a three-point deficit to haul in the doubles point for USC.
The Waves tied things up as singles play began, with No. 19 Savannah Broadus defeating No. 34 Eryn Cayetano 6-3, 6-1 on court three. Sophomore Grace Piper puts the Women of Troy back on top as she beat Anna Campana in straight sets 6-3, 6-3 at singles six. Next Pepperdine won back-to-back matches on courts five and two, with McKenna Koenig and No. 61 Snow Han both falling to their Wave opponents. Freshman Maddy Sieg kept a victory in reach for USC as she overcame a first set loss (her first of the season) to eventually beat #11 Janice Tjen 4-6, 6-1, 6-3. After four hours of grueling tennis and the score tied at 3-3, the match was decided on court four as Bunyami Thamchaiwat defeated Emma Charney 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1.
The Trojans return to action on Wednesday, March 15 for a 5:00 p.m. match against crosstown rival UCLA.
#7 Pepperdine 4, USC 3
Sunday, March 12 | Los Angeles, CA | David X. Marks Tennis Stadium
- #1 Janice Tjen/Savannah Broadus (PEPP) def. #24 Naomi Cheong/Snow Han (USC) – 6-0
- #34 Eryn Cayetano/Maddie Sieg (USC) def. #38 Lisa Zaar/Bunyawi Thamchaiwat (PEPP) – 6-4
- Grace Piper/Nathalie Rodilosso (USC) def. Nikki Redelijk/Anna Campana (PEPP) – 6-3
USC wins the doubles point.
Order of finish: 1, 3, 2
- #4 Maddy Sieg (USC) def. #11 Janice Tjen (PEPP) – 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
- #32 Lisa Zaar (PEPP) def. #61 Snow Han (USC) – 6-3, 6-4
- #19 Savannah Broadus (PEPP) def. #34 Eryn Cayetano (USC) – 6-3, 6-1
- Bunyawi Thamchaiwait (PEPP) def. Emma Charney (USC) – 5-7, 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
- Nikki Redelijk (PEPP) def. McKenna Koenig (USC) – 6-3, 6-2
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at USC Athletics…