RALEIGH – Fourth-ranked NC State women’s tennis (10-1, 3-0 ACC) nearly shutout both No. 45 Clemson (11-4, 1-3 ACC) and No. 68 East Tennessee State (8-4) with a doubleheader on Sunday, winning 6-1 and 7-0.
The Wolfpack kicked the day off with another ACC win over Clemson, 6-1. With a few lineup changes, the squad remained on top to take down the Tigers.
Doubles looked familiar as Sophie Abrams and Abigail Rencheli paired up and claimed the first win on court two with a 6-2 decision. Court one showed the fifth-ranked duo Nell Miller and Amelia Rajecki who beat their opponent 6-2. At the same time over on court three, Smith and Zyryanova coupled back up to defeat their opponent 6-3. Both matches on courts one and three ended at the same time to solidify all three wins for the Pack in doubles.
Leading 1-0 moving into singles, NC State made quick work throughout all six courts. Rajecki picked up the first singles point on court one with a swift conquer, 6-0, 6-2. Shortly after Gina Dittmann and Zyryanova both picked up the following two singles points after each winning 6-0, 6-3 on courts five and six.
Ahead 4-0, the winning for the Pack continued on courts one and four. After dropping her first set 3-6, Smith didn’t let up in the second and third sets to down her opponent 6-1, 1-0 (10-7). Abrams had a similar match over on court four when she also dropped her first set 3-6 but displayed her grit once again when she came back in the second and third sets, 6-2, 1-0 (13-11).
The only match given up was on court five when Rencheli first battled through a tiebreaker in set one and then ultimately fell after two sets, 6-7 (5-6), 3-6.
#4 NC State 6, #45 Clemson 1
Order of Finish: (2,3,1)
1. #5 Amelia Rajecki/Nell Miller (ST) def. Eleni Louka/Cristina Mayorova (CLEM) 6-2
2. Sophie Abrams/Abigail Rencheli (ST) def. Jenna Thompson/Leigh Van Zyl (CLEM) 6-2
3. Anna Zyryanova/Alana Smith (ST) def. Daniella Medvedeva/Lana Sipek (CLEM) 6-3
Order of Finish: (2,5,6,1,4,3)
1. #15 Alana Smith (ST) def. Eleni Louka (CLEM) 2-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-7)
2. #17 Amelia Rajecki (ST) def. Cristina Mayorova (CLEM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Daniella Medvedeva (CLEM) def. #51 Abigail Rencheli (ST) 7-6 (6-5), 6-3
4. #69 Sophie Abrams (ST) def. Sophia Hatton (CLEM) 3-6, 6-2, 1-0 (13-11)
5. Gina Dittmann (ST)…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at NC State University Athletics…