WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.- The Purdue men’s tennis team opened the 2023 spring season with a loss against the Dayton Flyers. The Boilermakers dropped to an early 3-0 deficit that proved to great to overcome.
Daniel Labrador and Tomasz Dudek led the charge in doubles when they jumped out to lead over Dayton’s Connor Bruce and Matt DeMarco and defeated the Flyer’s number-one duo 6-3. Dayton rallied back to win the final two matches taking the doubles point.
Michal Wozniak provided the Boilers first point of the match after a win straight sets. Purdue persisted in singles play with three matches going to three sets. Milledge Cossu put up a strong fight by rallying from a set down but was edged out 5-7. Freshman Mujtaba Ali-Khan started his career with a thrilling win. After going down a set, Ali-Khan stormed back to win in the second and third sets.
The Boilers stay at home to take on the Cleveland State Vikings this Friday, Jan. 20 at 4 p.m. The match will be held at Schwartz Tennis Center and admission is free.
Purdue (0-1)- 2, Dayton (1-1)- 5
1. Connor Bruce (DU) def. Daniel Labrador (PU)- 6-3, 6-3
2. Michal Wozniak (PU) def. Ronit Hiryur (DU)- 6-4, 7-6(5)
3. Eric Perkowski (DU) def. Milledge Cossu (PU)- 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
4. Mujtaba Ali-Khan (PU) def. Erik Eliasson (DU)- 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Georgi Mavrodiev (DU) def. Tomasz Dudek (PU)- 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
6. Sai Dore (DU) def. Julen Morgan (PU)- 6-1, 6-4
1. Daniel Labrador/Tomasz Dudek (PU) def. Connor Bruce/Matt DeMarco (DU)- 6-3
2. Georgi Mavrodiev/Eric Perkowski (DU) def. Michal Wozniak/Julen Morgan (PU)- 6-4
3. Ronit Hiryur/ Max DeCurtins (DU) def. Mujtaba Ali-Khan/Milledge Cossu (PU) – 6-4
ORDER OF FINISH
Singles- 6, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Doubles- 1, 3, 2