WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind.- The Purdue men’s tennis team will begin the 2023 spring season by hosting the Dayton Flyers Monday, January 16th at noon inside Schwartz Tennis Center.
In his first spring season with the Boilermakers, head coach Geoff Young looks to start his tenure off strong with an experienced roster mixed with some new talent. Young has brought in two freshmen, Hassan Baroudi and Mujtaba Ali-Khan, along with Daniel Labrador, a redshirt sophomore from Clemson, to help the team compete. The Boilermakers return five players from last season.
Purdue (0-0) vs. Dayton (0-0)
Schwartz Tennis Center
Monday, Jan. 16 | Noon (ET)
- Entering their 107th season, Purdue is 67-38-1 in season openers.
- Purdue is 2-0 vs Dayton, the last matchup coming in 2015 where Purdue won in West Lafayette 6-1.
- The Boilermakers will play 15 matches in Schwartz this spring, including the first 6 matches of the season.
- Three new additions were added in the fall. Freshmen Mujtaba Ali-Khan and Hassan Baroudi, along with redshirt sophomore Daniel Labrador, a Clemson transfer.
- The team went a combined 14-30 in singles during the fall, with newcomer Daniel Labrador sporting the only winning record (6-5).
- Doubles teams Dudek/Morgan and Labrador/Wozniak both went 2-3 in the fall.
- Senior Sebastian Welch and junior Milledge Cossu have a combined 16 career wins in the spring.
- The Boilermakers were 9-15 in 2021-22, with a 2-7 record in conference play.
- The Flyers went 16-8 in 2021-22, with a perfect 4-0 record in the Atlantic 10 conference.
- Dayton’s Matt DeMarco ended the fall season ranked 103 in singles play by ITA, the first time since 2018 the Flyers had a player ranked in the top 125.
- Dayton is 0-10 all-time against Big Ten opponents