Women’s Tennis | May 06, 2023
Malibu, Calif. – No. 24 USC women’s tennis capped off the 2023 season with a 4-1 loss to No. 9 Pepperdine during the second round of the NCAA Tournament.
With the loss, USC wraps up the season 20-9 overall, marking the second 20-win season under Head Coach Alison Swain. The Waves improve to 19-3 and advance to the NCAA Super Regional.
After nearly an hour of doubles play, Pepperdine claimed the early point following wins on courts 1 and three. On court three, Campana/Redelijk beat USC’s Emma Charney and Nathalie Rodilosso 6-1 moments before the nation’s top-ranked duo of Broadus/Tjen defeated the Trojan’s No. 18 ranked duo of Maddy Sieg and Eryn Cayetano. The remaining match was abandoned with USC down 4-5.
Moving into singles play, the Waves extended their lead, winning two singles matches as Trojans Snow Han and Grace Piper fell on courts two and six, respectively. Freshman Emma Charney recorded USC’s lone point of the day as the Trojans defeated Bunyawi Thamchaiwat 6-3, 6-4 on court four. The match was decided on court three as No. 19 Janice Tjen defeated No. 43 Eryn Cayetano 7-5, 1-6, 6-1. Remaining matches were abandoned.
Next up, Trojans Cayetano and Sieg turn their sights on the NCAA Singles and Doubles Championships in Orlando, scheduled for later this month.
#9 Pepperdine 4, #24 USC 1
NCAA Round 2 | May 06, 2023 | Ralphs-Straus Tennis Center (Malibu, Calif.)
- #1 Broadus, Savannah/Tjen, Janice (PEPPW) def. #18 Sieg, Madison/Cayetano, Eryn (USC) 6-3
- #59 Zaar, Lisa/Thamchaiwat, Bunyawi (PEPPW) vs. #58 Han, Snow/Cheong, Naomi (USC) 5-4, unfinished
- 3. Campana, Anna/Redelijk, Nikki (PEPPW) def. Charney, Emma/Rodilosso, Nathalie (USC) 6-1
Order of finish: 3,1
- #34 Zaar, Lisa (PEPPW) vs. #11 Sieg, Madison (USC) 6-1, 3-6, 2-4, UNF.
- #16 Broadus, Savannah (PEPPW) def. Han, Snow (USC) 6-4, 6-2
- #19 Tjen, Janice (PEPPW) def. #43 Cayetano, Eryn (USC) 7-5, 1-6, 6-1
- Charney, Emma (USC) def. Thamchaiwat, Bunyawi (PEPPW) 6-3, 6-4
- #117 Redelijk, Nikki (PEPPW) vs. Cheong, Naomi (USC) 6-2, 3-6, 4-1, UNF.
- Campana, Anna (PEPPW) def. Piper, Grace (USC) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish: 2, 6, 4, 3
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at USC Athletics…