CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – The 13th-ranked Duke men’s tennis team had their five-match winning streak snapped on Sunday as the Blue Devils dropped a 7-0 decision on the road to 12th-ranked Virginia at the Boar’s Head Sports Club in Charlottesville, Va.
The Blue Devils fell to 11-5, 4-1 in the ACC, while the Cavaliers moved to 14-4, 6-0 in the ACC.
How It Happened
• For the second straight match, the Blue Devils had to try to come-from-behind as Duke dropped the doubles point to the Cavaliers.
• On court one, Virginia’s Inaki Montest de la Torre and Ryan Goetz got off to a hot start and registered a 6-1 victory over Duke’s 59th-ranked Andrew Zhang and Michael Heller.
• With both courts two and three all even at 4-4, Virginia was able to secure a 5-4 advantage after winning key deuce points in both matches.
• On court three, Alexander Kiefer and Jeffrey von der Schulenburg of Virginia registered another key deuce point win to secure the doubles point for the Cavaliers with a 6-4 win over Connor Krug and Teddy Truwit.
• When the doubles point was clinched, Duke’s duo of No. 71 ranked Garrett Johns and Pedro Rodenas were trailing, 5-4, but were leading 40-0 to Chris Rodesch and William Woodall.
• Virginia came out in singles and kept the momentum from doubles by winning the first set on all six courts. That included two key tiebreakers on courts five and six.
• No. 37 Montes registered a 6-2, 6-0 win on court two over Duke’s Zhang to move the score to 2-0.
• Duke’s Dale and Heller had…
Click Here to Read the Full Original Article at Duke University…