The Hokies controlled the match from the start, beginning with earning the doubles point. Jordan Chrysostom and Matt Harper cruised to a 6-2 victory on court one. Manuel Goncalves and Scott Sculley continued the trend with a 6-3 win on court three to clinch doubles.
Ryan Fishback had to battle on court one after dropping the second set 3-6, but finished strong with a 6-2 third set win over Edoardo Cecere to clinch the match for Tech. Ryan Morgan and Matt Harper claimed three-set wins of their own to finish the contest.
1. #32 Ryan Fishback (VT) vs. Edoardo Cecere (QU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
2. Edoardo Bottino (QU) def. Hugo Maia (VT) 4-6, 7-5, 17-05
3. Matt Harper (VT) vs. Laurenz Blickwede (QU) 77-65, 6-3, 2-6
4. Ryan Morgan (VT) def. Win Steveker (QU) 6-3, 3-6, 7-5
5. Frank Thompson (VT) def. Milan Gonela (QU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jordan Chrysostom (VT) def. Lukas Gosselin (QU) 6-2, 6-1
Order of finish: 5,6,1,3,4,2
1. Chrysostom/Harper (VT) def. Steveker/Bottino(QU) 6-2
2. No. 23 Fishback/Orso (VT) def. Cecere/Blickwede (QU) 6-2
3. Goncalves/Sculley (VT) vs. Lynes/McNamara (QU) 6-3
Order of finish: 1,3,2
— MATCH TWO —
BLACKSBURG— The Virginia Tech men’s tennis team notched their second-straight win of the day in a 6-1 conquest of JMU.
Continuing their form from earlier, Sculley and Goncalves came out with the win on court two 6-1, while Alberto Orso and Matt Harper picked upa 6-1 in of their own to clinc the doubles point for Tech.
Thompson continued to prove he had his Sunday best, defeating Aathreya Mahesh 6-3, 6-3 on court six. Michael Shepheard got in on the action, as well, winning in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, to register his first singles win of the season. Orso followed suit winning in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4, on court five to clinch the match.
Hugo Maia added to the Hokies tally claiming a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Julian Lozano on court two. Fishback secured his second victory of the day after claiming the ten-point tiebreak in the third set to win 6-3, 2-6, 110-07.
1. #32 Ryan Fishback (VT) vs. Holden Koons (JMU) 6-3,…