TUCSON, Ariz. – No. 15 Arizona put on a dominating performance in their season opener with two 7-0 wins against Bryant and Grand Canyon University on Saturday, Jan. 14. The Wildcats took home both doubles points of the day and won every singles match in straight sets.
“The word of the season is dominate,” said head coach Clancy Shields.
Freshmen Dominique Rolland, Eric Padgham and Jay Friend grabbed their first dual match singles wins. The team’s newest player Iñaki Cabrera-Bello made his collegiate debut on the courts and picked up two singles wins.
“It’s always good to get matches under your belt. It’s especially good to get our freshmen some experience early in the season,” said associate head coach Bryce Warren. “We have about two weeks until our next match which gives us time to get back to the drawing board and work on what we feel we need to work on from today.”
The Wildcats are on the road next weekend for the ITA Kickoff in Austin, Texas where they’ll face off against Florida Atlantic University in round one. They are back at home on Friday, Feb. 3 to host Pepperdine.
#15 University of Arizona 7, Bryant 0
1. Jonas Ziverts (ARIZ) def. MILEIKOWSKY, L. (BRYM) 6-0, 6-1
2. Herman Hoeyeraal (ARIZ) def. LORENZ, Nick (BRYM) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jay Friend (ARIZ) def. SEN, Aryaan (BRYM) 6-4, 6-2
4. Inaki Cabrera (ARIZ) def. TREJO, Diego (BRYM) 7-5, 6-2
5. Eric Padgham (ARIZ) def. BARIL, J-C (BRYM) 6-2, 6-3
6. Jared Horwood (ARIZ) def. MACAULAY, Marcus (BRYM) 7-6 (7-3), 6-2
1. Jonas Ziverts/Herman Hoeyeraal (ARIZ) def. MILEIKOWSKY, L./LORENZ, Nick (BRYM) 6-3
2. Gustaf Strom/Eric Padgham (ARIZ) def. PELLEGRINI, Will/TREJO, Diego (BRYM) 6-2
3. FU, Ryan/SEN, Aryaan (BRYM) def. Jared Horwood/Inaki Cabrera (ARIZ) 6-3
#15 University of Arizona 7, Grand Canyon University 0
1. Colton Smith (ARIZ) def. Martin Marujo (GCU) 6-4, 6-3
2. Gustaf Strom (ARIZ) def. Jonathan Da Silva (GCU) 6-0, 6-0
3. Nick Lagaev (ARIZ) def. Alfred Almasi (GCU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Hiroki Sakagawa (ARIZ) def. Paolo Rosati (GCU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Inaki Cabrera (ARIZ) def. William Asterback (GCU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Dominique Rolland (ARIZ) def. Wyatt Anderson (GCU) 6-0, 6-1
Order of finish: