TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –– The Alabama men’s tennis team won two doubles matches and three singles courts on the opening day of the SEC/Big Ten Challenge.
Freshman Andrii Zimnokh opened his collegiate career with a singles and doubles victory. Filip Planinsek and Matias Ponce De Leon also concluded the day undefeated as the doubles duo found wins in both events.
The Southeastern Conference holds the lead after day one with a 12-6 advantage in the tournament.
- Filip Planinsek and Matias Ponce De Leon were the first doubles squad to capture a win, defeating Wisconsin’s Collin Beduhn and Mihailo Popovic, 6-4
- Yair Sarouk and Andrii Zimnokh concluded their match shortly after with a 6-3 victory over Matthew Fullerton and Oliver Olsson
- In singles, Planinsek again was the first of the day to capture a win, topping Popovic 6-1, 7-6 (4)
- Zimnokh posted a 6-2, 6-4 win over Beduhn, while Ponce De Leon went 7-6 (5), 6-4 against Olsson
- Alabama will return to action Saturday for the second day of the SEC/Big Ten Challenge
- The first round of doubles will begin at 10 a.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium
Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaMTN on X, Instagram and Facebook.
– UA –