TUSCALOOSA, Ala. –– The Alabama men’s tennis team went undefeated on the opening day of the TuscaBama UTR as members of the team recorded a pair of doubles wins and 10 singles victories on Saturday.
The UA doubles team of Filip Planinsek and Andrii Zimnokh and Tide duo of Yair Sarouk and Matias Ponce De Leon opened the day with a win in paired play. All four competitors as well as Roan Jones secured a pair of singles wins to advance from the Round of 64 into Sunday’s Round of 16.
- Planinsek and Zimnokh cruised to a 6-0 victory against Karna Palaniappan and Palaniappan Sethu
- Sarouk and Ponce De Leon battled it out for a 7-5 victory against Whit Davis and Nazar Fedoryshyn
- In singles, Planinsek blanked Andrew Paul 6-0, 6-0, before downing Houston Jacques 6-1, 6-3 to advance to the Round of 16
- Jones took a 6-1, 6-2 win against Lebo Mashego and a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Samuel Maia
- After a strong 6-1, 6-0 win over Diego Harris, Sarouk took a 6-4, 7-5 win against Vence Ntcha in the Round of 32
- Ponce De Leon dropped just four games over four sets, defeating Rohan Loubser 6-1, 6-1 in the Round of 64 and Parker Free 6-2, 6-0 in the Round of 32
- Zimnokh extended his undefeated three-match run from the Georgia Tech Invite with a pair of singles wins against Jake Anthony (6-2, 6-1) and Diego Britt-Alvarez (6-1, 6-3)
- Both doubles teams will open competition at 8 a.m. CT at the Alabama Tennis Stadium
- All five singles players for UA will begin competition around 10 a.m.
- R32 | Filip Planinsek (UA) def. Houston Jacques 6-1, 6-3
- R32 | Roan Jones (UA) def. Samuel Maia 6-2, 6-3
- R32 | Yair Sarouk (UA) def. Vence Ntcha 6-4, 7-5
- R32 | Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) def. Parker Free 6-2, 6-0
- R32 | Andrii Zimnokh (UA) def. Diego Britt-Alvarez 6-1, 6-3
- R64 | Filip Planinsek (UA) def. Andrew Paul 6-0, 6-0
- R64 | Roan Jones (UA) def. Lebo Mashego 6-1, 6-2
- R64 | Yair Sarouk (UA) def. Diego Harris 6-1, 6-0
- R64 | Andrii Zimnokh (UA) def. Jake Anthony 6-2, 6-1
- R64 | Matias Ponce De Leon (UA) def. Rohan Loubser 6-1, 6-1
Get all the latest information on the team by following AlabamaMTN on X, Instagram and Facebook.
– UA –